Home

Upcoming Events

There are no Upcoming Events

Condividi contenuti

Evolution of Quest Marker Games and how to . . .

5 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
Jahmen
Ritratto di Jahmen
Iscritto: 6 Apr 2010

I created a Quest Marker Game's Bevin back in MOUL, last (GameTap) and hosted it as the GAMEMASTER where I had set up competitions between individual players, teams and neighborhoods.  Then I would Image Post the times and standing results of those who participated in the games. I also collected together the best Quest Games of others I could find and separated them out in to difficulty of play and game themes to distribute upon request to explorers based upon their answering questions as to their level of knowledge and playing skills, likes and dislikes.

However, MOUL, last ended before it really had become well established and organized.

2010 MOUL, again and I created Quest's Bevin to eventually see if the same interests are there in making and playing Quests.  

First, I created a Quest Series of Games "Jahmen's Journals"  http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22546 based upon my 2008 Planet Dragonia Age, for a Community Game Quest Series to demonstrate what I have posted many times about this topic across many forum threads to try to educate explorers to the facts that Quests can be more than just about finding and getting markers.  I approached many explorers about playing my Quests Series of Games to discover many dislike Quests, mostly from their having done the Marker Missions from the Great Zero to calibrate their KI's.  However, when I have explained that I was speaking to them about Quests with text markers that have or tell stories and have text puzzles within them to solve and that Quest games have been evolving into a wide range of themes and styles from Art Quest Markers games that are more art or sculptures than anything else, to elite player style quests to out of the way or normal playing areas (Annabelle's recent December released Quest Series comes to mind) and those of others (like my own) that incorporate Letters to Words and Words to Sentences, Word Jumbles and even math to Ki ordinance marker puzzles.  Then they tell me that they have become more interested in trying something like that.                                                                                                                                   

( NOTING: My Quest Series is a Community based play theme requiring many working together to solve and not for beginners or individuals)

My reason for posting was more about if there was any interest here at the Messengers Guild from any journalists wanting to do a Story with me about the topic of Quest Games again?  I had tried before with this topic in the past and got blasted for my efforts in trying to organize and use the IC game Guilds to recruit explorers for building a Guild System for creating Quests based upon the Uru Guild System Storyline theme. I thought if I created a Quests Series of Games to demonstrate what could be accomplished by others working together, by what I could accomplish alone, the idea might be better understood and more acceptable?  I have extensive knowledge and experience to the mechanics of what it takes to create the more complex Quest games.  Perhaps the Messengers could do a survey or poll to discover just what the average explorer knows?  We could do some Forum archive research of past survey's and threads to what has already been done before, followed by some in cavern interviews of the general public to establish a base line of interest first?  Followed by maybe creating a few basic Quests to give explorers as samples to get their opinions of them and educate them?                                                                                        

My best guess from my own experience is few explorers have a clue beyond the basic marker mission, find and collect markers theme.                       

I had also thought The Messengers might be interested in running a Multi-Part Story Series on developing a basic "Tutorial Instructional" for explorers interested in creating Quests Games and the findings of where the community of explorers stands on the topic? Perhaps then do a sort of step by step tutorial to making a Quest games for dummies guide if there is enough interest?                                                                                                                                             

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

Shorah Jahmen,

it's nice to see you again ^^

Jahmen wrote:
My reason for posting was more about if there was any interest here at the Messengers Guild from any journalists wanting to do a Story with me about the topic of Quest Games again?

This seems an interesting topic, probably there is an interested Messenger out there for writing something about this.

Quote:
Perhaps the Messengers could do a survey or poll to discover just what the average explorer knows?  We could do some Forum archive research of past survey's and threads to what has already been done before, followed by some in cavern interviews of the general public to establish a base line of interest first?  Followed by maybe creating a few basic Quests to give explorers as samples to get their opinions of them and educate them?

I don't think there are old researches on Marker Quests...I don't remember them. But one ones are not usefull for an article that wants to cover the current status of the things. This things (poll, interviews, etc) will be handled by you and the writer of the article.

Quote:
I had also thought The Messengers might be interested in running a Multi-Part Story Series on developing a basic "Tutorial Instructional" for explorers interested in creating Quests Games and the findings of where the community of explorers stands on the topic? Perhaps then do a sort of step by step tutorial to making a Quest games for dummies guide if there is enough interest?

So basically you are suggesting to do an article first and then publish some tutorials, right?

Seems like a nice idea. Consider that usually our articles are published on our Magazine, because we keep the website front page/Feed only for News. We don't plan to publish the Magazine very often, so maybe you may want to concentrate everything in one or (max) two issues, otherwise it could take a year to publish everything. We could publish the article and the tutorial on the same issue, or publish the article in one issue and the tutorial in the following one.

Now, any Messenger interested in writing this article?

Theremin
Ritratto di Theremin
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
Iscritto: 18 Ago 2008

Shorah Jahmen!

I am taking the magazine in a bit of a different direction; still about the Myst-Universe, but geared to be interesting to non-players as well. We also don't publish tutorials, game-hints or that type of thing. The Editor-in-Chief is also adamantly against multi-issue stories/articles!

If you wanted to have it published in the Magazine, you would need to submit an outline or draft to me for approval, and we could decide at that point if we want to publish it or not. 

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

True, we usually don't publish In-Game Tutorials, that's usually GoG's job.

But, Theremin, couln't an article (not tutorial) that analyses the recent interest of the community in Marker Games be published? Although the theme of the next issue doesn't fit very well

Polgara
Ritratto di Polgara
Magazine teamTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 24 Apr 2010

Theremin wrote:

Shorah Jahmen!

I am taking the magazine in a bit of a different direction; still about the Myst-Universe, but geared to be interesting to non-players as well.

I support this idea but I don´t think all articles should also be of interest to non-players. As somebody has mentioned before - it´s a magazine of an onlinegame afterall  and so to me it should also contain articles about ingame stuff. Other magazines also have content for beginners and for experts - the mixture is the important thing.

And I think this to be an interesting idea. To me it´s a new kind of marker games and it might be interesting to the community how they work, why these quests have been developed that way (the idea behind), what explorers think about it...

Theremin
Ritratto di Theremin
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
Iscritto: 18 Ago 2008

Indeed, Polgara, it is a magazine based on a game, and I need to remember that! :)

However, I don't want it to become a "gaming" magazine. I want to encompass both in-cavern and real-life material as it pertains to the Myst-Universe. While certain articles will always be more interesting to some than others, every article should be written so as not to preclude someone from being able to understand it.

I'm not too worried about articles fitting the theme of "Real-Life" for the next issue. If an article is good, we'll publish it. At the moment, I'm at a loss as to how I would approach writing this article- therefore as Jahmen suggested, we'll leave it to another (or himself) to decide what format the article will take.

Remember, I'm not trying to discourage anyone, I'm trying to push our envelope here, demand a little better each time. Put together an outline or even just a synopsis and let me consider it, I'm not turning down the idea.